In this digital era where companies and people are trying to create value out of the free social media platforms which have now become too noisy is a task. Standing from the crowd and being able to be noticed to qualify for your next social media job needs you to not only be consistent in your posting but much more than that.
1. How can personal branding help you get your next job?
Jobs are given to individuals not just brands unless it is a partnership between a brand and an agency that offers social media services. Branding is essential one to stand out on social media. Having said that, people on social media easily connect with people and that’s why personal branding is important when it comes to getting your social media job.
Personal branding makes you stand out from the many social media users and be recognized by your next employer. There are so many people offering similar services as yours. Your personal brand is a vivid indication of the best you have to offer – the performance, contributions, and value your next employer can expect from you.
The brand you communicate marks your career reputation and is in some respects a promise. This is why most companies trust personal brands because they are built on trust and reputation. They have a role to play towards their audiences.
I have been able to secure most of my social media marketing jobs because of my brand packaging. People recommend people and people recommend those personal brands that are seen, known and are easily remembered.
2. Which skills should one in search of a social media managing gig be equipped with?
Having created a personal brand, there are specific characteristics and skills you have equipped yourself with that makes you the best out of the many. For instance, if you want to become the best social media community manager for other personal brands or businesses on the platforms it is advisable to own these skills.
- Creativity in social media engagement, creation of content and responses to customers.
- Networking and Relationship building skills
- Strategy Development: A proper plan to help in the growth of the brand at hand
- Marketing skills
- Selling skills
- Negotiation Skills
- Communication skills
- Analytical skills
Having all the listed skills, do not ignore the importance of a deeper understanding of how various business models affect the market and businesses.
3. How can one be hired for a social media gig without experience?
They say experience is the best teacher. Practice the skills with your personal brand. Marketers often ignore the importance of social media communities. Tweet Chats, Facebook and LinkedIn Groups often give you an opportunity to meet people who will read your thoughts, ideas and see your potential in a niche you are interested in.
Other Ways to get hired:
- Build a personal brand and make sure you choose a niche you’re comfortable with.
- Build relationships with influencers, social media managers and other people who are working with brands you would like to be hired.
- Collaborate with brands. You don’t need to wait until you get hired. Reach out to young brands, partner with them. If they recognize your value, they will give you an opportunity to become one of their employees but be very careful with this choice.
4. Tips to land your next social media gig
Don’t wait for brands to approach you so that you can start thinking about what you can do for them. Offer value to your audience at all times even when without a gig. They are your first fans who will gladly recommend and refer you.
Network and engage with others. Let them know what you’re capable of. You can also demonstrate your passion in what you do on your social media platforms. Again, offer value with or without a client.
- Become an authority
- Choose a niche to be identified with
- Choose a channel
- Consistency in what you post matters
- Create a cohesive persona on social profile
- Sometimes offer your skills for free
- Watch out on the trends and take part in those that are relevant to your brand
- Demonstrate your passion in what you do
- Look for a brand having a poor or nor digital presence and offer your help to them
5. Can one become a social media expert without necessarily having a personal brand?
This is very possible. There are so many social media experts working behind companies and they are doing extremely well. This is by them applying what they are learning from digital marketing courses, webinars and other industry leaders.
I am a believer that passion can get you anywhere. If you have a great network of people in the social media marketing field and you can learn from them as you apply in the brands you work for, that is a plus.
6. “Social Media Pays.” Any tips on how one can leverage their presence to gain monetary value?
The internet is not only a place to have fun but to make your dreams come true. We have read, watched and met people who have made fortune out of the value their presence on social media has.
People and brands pay value for value. If you aren’t using the advertising, content creation and marketing skills you have learnt on social media marketing to offer value, “social media pays” will just be just a non-existent dream.
There are turns of jobs one can do as a social media marketing enthusiast. Here are just but a few:
- Social Media Strategist
- Content Creator
- Social Media Trainer
- Social Media Brand Manager
- Social media Ad copywriter
- Social Media Optimization Specialist
- Social Media Influencer: How To Become an Online Brand Influencer and Earn Monetary Value From It
In a flooded market like social media, there is a need for one to constantly watch your back. As you build networks to get referrals to clients, remember to choose to work with brands whose work and messaging align with things you are passionate about. That way, you won’t have a hard time being believed, you will enjoy your work and it will be easier for you to get great results. Be a fan of your own work.